Friday, May 13, 2011

Sunday Cookery: Cafe Rio Burritos and Salads

A while back I decided I wanted to learn how to cook, so I started cooking dinner every Sunday, and had some friends come over to eat.  Since I haven't done much with this blog yet, and I've been trying to figure out what kind of segments I can do for this blog, other than just reviewing restaurants.  So for the sake of having something to post every week, I've decided to review my Sunday meals.  Whenever I try something for the first time I'll let you know what exactly it was, and whether I succeeded.  I might even revisit meals I've already made, so you can learn about the surprisingly successful Schnitzel and Spätzle, or the hilariously disastrous attempt at stew.

This week we decided to give a shot at making Cafe Rio's award winning sweet pork burritos.  We started with mom getting up early to put the pork in the crock pot, while I kept sleeping.  Not the greatest of starts on my part, but she was already getting up to talk to my younger brother, who is currently serving a mission for our church in the Czech Republic.

Now, I'd heard that Cafe Rio uses Dr Pepper in their pork, but the recipe we found called for Seven-Up or Sprite.  After a few hours of cooking I took the pork out of the crock pot and shredded it.  I then let it cook in the sauce a bit longer, so that the slightly dry pork could absorb the juices.


It was of course incredibly delicious.  However, next time I try it I think there are a few things that I'll do differently.  First off, I'll try out the recipe with Dr Pepper, and will use dark brown sugar, rather than lighter brown sugar.  The main reason for doing this is to see how it affects the taste, but also to see if I can get the color to match up with what Cafe Rio serves.  Our version was a bit on the light side.  I would also shred the pork a bit sooner, and let it cook in the juice a bit longer, just so that the individual strands of pork have some more time to absorb the flavor.


However, I highly recommend this for anyone that intends to feed a lot of people.  It makes a lot of pork, so we have some left overs I still need to eat now.  I'll be sure to post an update about how it works next time I try the recipe out.  I'll also post the modified recipe then, for anyone that wants to try and make this on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment