Wednesday, September 21, 2011

What No One Told Me About...

I've learned something over the course of my journey to become a cook. When you know how to cook, people expect you to cook for them.

I know, right? It's pretty shocking. I didn't even think of this before, but it's just like playing the piano. If you can do it, people expect you to. Sure most of the time I don't mind, since I enjoy cooking, it's very therapeutic for me. What I'm having trouble getting used to is the fact that now more often than not I'm making dinner for my mom. Rather than the other way around.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy cooking for people, and that includes my mom. What I'm having trouble adjusting to is that for all my life she's been the one to make dinner. Nothing in those last twenty five years prepared me for hearing my mom ask, "So what's for dinner?"

"I dunno, what are you making?"

"Weren't you going to make dinner?"

"Well, I can..."

It's just really weird.

What isn't weird is the appreciation. People just like it when you make them food, and I like it when they are happy. I don't know how many people watch the anime Blue Exorcist but there is an episode that summarizes how I feel about cooking. The main character learned how to cook because it made the people around him happy. That's mostly why I'm learning how to cook, because seeing happy people eating good food is just a treat.

That and I really like food, so there's no reason not to know how to make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment